Home  ~  How to get to the Church  ~  History  ~  Evangelical OutreachServing the Community About Us : Our Pastors - Church Choir
Pastorate Committee - Women Fellowship - Youth Fellowship - Lay Leaders - Cathedral Nursery School
Church Parish ~ Music ~ Events ~ Church for Children ~ Pastor writes~ Prayer Cell ~ Photo Gallery ~ Downloads
 

  Architecture  Paintings  ~  Dedication of the Church  ~  Gifts to the Church  ~  Organ  ~  H.A.N.Medd

 

 

H.A.N. Medd's semi-Palladian design has a Lutyenesque aura about it. Built in white Dholpur stone, it is sandwiched between a roof and plinth of red sandstone. A shortage of funds did not allow for the external face to be made in Ashlar, instead same white stone in coarse rubble was used. The smooth and polished Ashlar was reserved for the moulded courses and the elegant columned porches.

The Church's solemn and austere exteriors lead to a magnificent interior, which has a wonderful play of arches. The small and recessed openings let in streams of sunlight and strong surges of breeze. The entire interior is white stone except for the vaulted ceiling. Entrance to the Church is from north, south, and western sides. At the eastern end is the high altar with a half dome above it. On two sides of high altar are the Chapel of Ascension and the Children's Chapel.

The choir gallery over the main western entrance has the unique William Hill and Norman and Beard pipe organ. With Lady Willingdon's help funds were raised to battle bad acoustics. In 1934, the vaulted ceiling and the dome were sprayed with asbestos mixed with adhesives and colouring matter to successfully lessen the 11-second reverberation. The tower and the dome were added on later in 1935.

The following photo shows the foundation stone of this grand church laid down by His Excellency Lord Irwin, the then Vicery and Governor General of India on 23rd February, 1927.

copyright The Cathedral Church of The Redemption, New Delhi. All rights reserved.                                                                                              Acknowledgements